Monday, August 17, 2009

Show-and-Tell

I don't recall when we started doing show-and-tell in school. I do know that whenever it was time to bring a family picture, my dad would make me promise to return it to the family albums he meticulously put together. (Would you believe that my dad even made an archive of all film negatives? Mental note - I ought to put those albums I ransacked back in good shape.)

Anyway, it looks like Gab's show-and-tell years have already started. I found myself having a family picture last January (when Glenn came home) printed last Saturday. (Oh the wonders of digital photography!)

I happen to like this picture a lot. Too bad that we don't have a complete one with Daddy (Wotot) with us.

I was pretty excited this morning with Gab's homework, slightly anxious however with the possibility of the "daddy" question being brought up.

I called the house a few minutes ago to find out how class went. True enough, Ma's worries were realized. The "daddy" question came up. And Teacher just had to say that the picture was lacking, that it should have a father.

Hooboy. Much as I'd like to write all about happy stuff in this blog, with all the happiness that Gab has brought in our lives, I cringe at the thought that they just had to articulate that something was missing in our family, in Gab's life.

Admittedly, my family isn't the most conventional, and we can be a bunch of oddballs sometimes (no, a lot of times). But I'd like to think that we could over-compensate in some other ways. That Gab would feel just as loved as any other kid.

(I wish I may, I wish I might... I think I can.. I think I can..)

I'd love to make that happen. Love Gab more than enough. More than I have words for. Make her feel that.


This will happen. Gab will grow up surrounded by this oddball family that loves her. I put up the picture in my desk to remind myself that. My own show-and-tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment